The automatic transmission is one of the most complicated parts of the vehicle, and the second most expensive component to replace. You can probably see why it’s important to take care of your transmission and make sure it’s in great shape!
What causes transmission problems?
Overheating is the cause of most transmission troubles. Overheating can occur when towing a heavy load, rocking the vehicle from the snow, having continuous stop-and-go traffic in hot weather, racing, and other activities that work the transmission hard.
At high temperatures, the transmission fluid loses its lubricating power, which could result in premature failure. When that happens, the next step is a transmission rebuild or replacement…SCARY!
Ways to Prevent Damage
Luckily, taking care of your transmission isn’t hard. Just taking a few extra steps can go a long way in preventing problems with your transmission.
- Never shift to Reverse or Park until the car comes to a complete stop.
- Never shift from Park when the engine rpm is higher than normal idle.
- Always hold your brake pedal down when shifting from Park.
- If it’s being towed, make sure the drive wheels are not on the road.
- At every oil change, check the transmission fluid level. It’s similar to checking your oil. If the fluid level is too low, there is a leak somewhere that needs to be fixed.
- The fluid should be changed as recommended in your owner's manual. If it looks dark or dirty, your best bet is to have an ASE-Certified technician perform a transmission flush.
Keeping Your Transmission in Vacaville Running
Bring your car to a trusted repair shop with a highly trained ASE-Certified mechanic in Vacaville for service every 30,000 miles. Regular servicing can provide longer life expectancy, smoother shifting and increased performance for your transmission.
Remember, the only component in your car more expensive than the transmission is the engine. Keeping up with regular maintenance will save you thousands of dollars over the life of your vehicle!